Monday, January 28, 2008

my ONNI

Today, my topic is about my ONNI. You may wonder what Onni means...well, onni means older sister in Korean. As you all know, my sister has recently moved to HK to work and when we both have time, we would meet up and have drinks or dinner together...i remember 3 yrs ago, when i asked my sister if i should come to HK...she gave me tonnes of reasons why i should come...it's actually more like 1000 things you should do when u are young...hahaha..im just exaggerating lah..well, after her encouragement, i decided to take up the job and leave my home sweet home....and when i left, i asked her if she wanted to work in HK...her quick response shocked me~~~

Onni said: "NO"

i asked: "WHY NOT? u asked me to come?!"

Onni said: "because i cant speak cantonese"

I said: "i also told you i cant speak and you said i could learn???!!"

Onni said: "......"

well, she came afterall~~~and i must say, my sis's cantonese is not tat bad especially in the situation where she scolds someone...一线断...even i am shocked!!! haha..but if she is to make conversation, it will be as terrible as mine when i first came..but still better....i had dinner with her before i left HK and it was funny to listen to her cantonese...and it reminds me soOOoo much of my own....she was telling her friend excitedly abt her hiking story...and she was describing her colleague having cramps...and suddenly, her friend laughed and said, how come there was "CHICKEN"? my sis and i looked at each other, not knowing wat she meant...and i asked her to say it again...ooOOooo..hahaha...she said muscle (AKA 肌肉 Ji rou)...in cantonese, it should be pronounced as gei yuk...but instead, she said gai yuk (AKA 鸡肉 in cantonese)....we all laughed so hard...hahaha...

then she mentioned abt the famous goose restaurant in central...it's called 庸记...in cantonese, it's pronounced as yong (2) gei (2)...but my sis made it sounds like yong (1) gei (1) which means rear chicken in hakka~~~ my sis is so cute ^^

4 comments:

Jennifer Kho said...

after reading the 1st sentence, i thought ur blog was about 'yam' because Onni sounds like Yam in Hokkien hehe... now i know why ppl get confused easily! that's because we know too many languages or dialects! hiak hiak..

we are multilingual ;p

Anonymous said...

your sister got 'yum mou'!... oopss...should be 'yum mao' :P ...she wanted u to explore in HK first than she baru come...hiak hiak...actually until now i still think 'chicken meat' n 'muscle' pronounce the same in cantonese.

Tracy said...

Jane, tell you sister don't be shy to speak out... the more she talks.. the more she learns... everything learn from mistake mah... i'm don't have ppl to talk cantonese with me... so till now haven't learn to speak cantonese well...feel a bit shame... ehhe.. coz i;m cantonese

Jane Jane said...

hahah..my sis? no need to worry abt her...she spoke cantonese like her native language :) compared to me, she's not shy at all...i only started to speak cantonese after 6 mths in HK..but she started the day when she 1st came...^^