Thursday, May 8, 2008

有惊无险

last night, i was still in my dream land when suddenly my hotel phone rang...i was scared by the ringing tone and quickly picked up...hoping that something bad did not happen...i thought it was jenn...i picked up and the person from the other line told me..."do you know that there is an earth quake now? the windows are shaking.." it was my colleague...oh gosh, is it? i put on the speaker and started to get out from my bed...i thought i am drunk coz i could feel the building swaying...i made my way to the window and opened the curtain...i looked down the streets and saw cars moving as usual, ppl walking as usual...hhMmmm? was it earthquake or was it a false alarm? but i could definitely feel the whole building might collapse!!!??? oh dear, what should i do...my colleague was talking on the phone and asked me not to go back to sleep yet just in case we need to evacuate...i said ok and when back to my bed...i guess i was just too tired to move...while i was lying on my bed, suddenly, there was a female voice, coming out from nowhere...i was again scared by the sudden noise...it was from a centralised speaker...the lady said something in japanese...i lied on my bed, trying to guess what she was saying...is she asking us to run or what? then after 2 mins, she translated wat she said earlier...she said "attention pls, attention pls, there was an earthquake. Pls don worry." then after 5 mins, same thing happen...again, i was thinking...oh dear, what's next? oooh, turned out it was an announcement to say the building is now safe...*phew*

the funny thing is my colleague actually got changed to a nicer clothes and went to the lift and found tat there was nobody outside and he thought everyone had escaped~~~the lifts didnt work so he went back to his room...we all laughed at him after that coz 1> he was the only one trying to escape...ie 怕死 2> during earthquake, he even had the time to get changed!!! haha..his rationale is if he had to die, he wanted to die with pride coz there definitely would be reporters around to take photos and there would be billions of ppl who might see him on the newspaper

for some of my colleagues, they didnt even know that it was earthquake and some didnt even hear the announcement (nan ni -> AKA WHAT?) and for me, i knew it was earthquake but i just went bek to sleep...because i knew, i was on the top floor and there was nowhere for me to escape...but while i was lying on my bed, i couldnt keep myself from thinking, would it be painful to be under concrete? how would ppl find me? shld i keep my mobile phone close to me just in case? a lot of thoughts flooded in my mind...but i guess this was something i couldnt control..if it was destined to happen, it would happen....

Just this morning (9/5) at 743am, there was another small quake...gosh, i think it's time for us to flee...i don wanna die in japan eventhough i really like japan....here's a little news from CNN...

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- A strong earthquake struck off the coast of Japan early Thursday, the national Meteorological Agency said, waking up people 100 miles away in Tokyo. Two people suffered minor injuries from falling furniture, public television broadcaster NHK reported. An 18-year-old man was hit when his stereo speakers fell onto his bed, and a 25-year-old man was hit by objects rattled off shelves. There were no other immediate reports of injuries or damage from the magnitude 6.8 earthquake, NHK said. No tsunami warning was issued. The earthquake occurred at 1:45 a.m. offshore at a depth of about 25 miles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The epicenter was about 100 miles northeast of Tokyo. A second quake with a magnitude of 5.3 struck the same area about 30 minutes later, and more aftershocks could follow, Tamotsu Aketagawa, an official who monitors earthquakes for the country's Meteorological Agency, told The Associated Press. "Since it was a very large-scale earthquake, we would expect to see some modest aftershocks," he said. Japan is one of the most earthquake-prone countries in the world because it sits atop four tectonic plates. Tokyo has not been hit by a major quake since 1923, when 140,000 people died in the Great Kanto Earthquake.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No wonder i woke up in the middle of that night for NO REASON!! Even though we are miles apart, we could still feel what the other is going thru! that shows that telephatic power hasn't gone rusty ^^

that must be a scary experience!! come to Japan, must experience earthquake

Tracy said...

Really a scary experience.... if me i will think of a lot of negative things.. and will start call to leave my last message.

Anonymous said...

so scary..... Jane, I salute you. I think I would cry if i were there. hahaha...............

Anonymous said...

eh! Jane,if i were u, i might start write down or record down my last messages to my love one....but u! still able to go back n sleep! is this 'da zhi ruo yu'?

poor colleague of yours, the one who have prepared for the worst become 'kia si gui' kolian! kolian!

Jane Jane said...

ya, v scary moment..it was life n death~~for some reasons, everyone seemed to be excited abt my earthquake-nearly-die experience...haha..ya, my poor colleague, i guess if something did happen,he'd be considered as lucky, but when it was ok,he would be tot differently...it's just like if there is earthquake, u jump out wanting to save urself, u might end up killing urself when in the end, it is just a small harmless earthquake :p ^^