Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Nightmare

I always dreaded coming to US…why? Actually the story has been shared before….let me summarise in case you have forgotten:

Blue colour fonts denote comments after the trip

  1. Long journey, long hours, body pain yup....i started to feel the pain in my knee...for sitting too long...need to stretch every now and then...mayb i shld do yoga in the plane...hiak hiak hiak...i remember ah J said i looked like a mosquito while doing yoga...*lost of confidence*
  2. Strict immigration and custom procedures….which makes everything so inefficient…that also means long wait in Qs
  3. transit time….have to make sure you have sufficient time or else u will miss ur flight..tat also means…RUSH!!!
  4. unhelpful airport personnel…remember I almost missed my flight in LA and I asked for help? The officer told me to wait in line and wait for my turn…so I took the matter into my own hand…asked everything single passenger’s permission let me cut Q and ran all the way to my terminal
  5. jet lag…I hate this..super super hate this….no sleep at night and feel sleepy during day time….and I had to keep my eyes open because all my bosses were around oh well, last night i slept like a piggie, slept at 1pm and woke up at 7pm (Western Std time)...hopefully i could still have a good night sleep tonight :p....i need to hypnotise myself into believing im in my normal timezone....
  6. bad customer service…esp in restaurants…here waiters work on tips basis and u get ur assigned waiter…other waiters in the restaurant will not give a d*mn abt u…if urs is busy, sorry dude, u just have to wait for ur turn….
  7. unclear airport signs i think i have gotten the hang of confusing signs...i actually found my way through yday....hope for more success in my return trip this Fri....
  8. took forever to check in
  9. always being treated like criminal….not feel respected at all…it’s like we are paying but we still have to beg for service….什么天理啊???
  10. missing luggage better don make the comment too early...i don wanna be jinxed :p

Anyway, I cant finish listing all the cons…so far, I haven’t found the pros yet…

This morning, when I was doing my transit in LA…everything went on so smoothly…even I myself was amazed at the efficiency level….i was the first at the immigration counter (took me 5 mins), waited at the carousel for 5 mins to collect my luggage and passed through custom in 2 mins and I walked slowly towards my terminal for domestic check in….aahh…this was the first time I felt so relaxed in US airport…but the nightmare began right there…the domestic airport was full of ppl….luckily they have a special line for business class passengers…i would be the 8th person they need to serve…I thought, well, this would be quick…but I was SOOOooo WRONG….the line got longer and longer because only TWO counters were opened…and they took 20 mins to serve each turn…don’t ask me why it took so long..coz I was trying to figure out myself…there was this guy, who was desperate already…he was in the line waiting (he actually arrived 1.5 hrs before his scheduled flight)…the line was not moving at all and his plane was abt to leave already…so he went around and around looking for help…hoping that they would open more counter…there was this airport lady who chit chatted right in front of us, and the guy asked her to help arrange for more counters coz there are a lot of ppl who are rushing for flights…guess what the lady said? She said flatly “it’s not my job” oh my oh my, I wanted to applaud for that answer…the guy was pissed, so were the rest of the ppl…so the lady continued to chit chat while tat guy went looking for help…he got the same answers from all the airport staff….and at the same time, this lady behind the counter CLOSED the counter eventhough the line was super long…leaving only one counter opened to serve more than 20+++ ppl….even economy class gets more check in counters!!! felt like doing this (NAH), but i was afraid i would be jailed....u know...here is full of surprises and anything could happen~~~ Finally, after an hr (YUP, ONE DAMN HOUR LATER), it was finally my turn…and they finally opened ONE MORE COUNTER to “speed” up….this couple next to me kept complaining about the inefficiency, bla bla bla….and they got no response…and suddenly, it reminds me of Malaysia….i did the same thing when I was in KL back in july…it was the same, there was no response from them and no sign of feeling sorry or feeling the need for improvement…so what’s common in this two countries? They are all too protected…msia, by the govt, here by the union… I’m really amazed at US….and I think they have a lot of learn from HK….tsk tsk tsk *shaking head*

2 comments:

Jennifer Kho said...

They don't have check-in machines in airports? so lao yaaaaa....

we also experienced the same thing in changi airport that night. the officer decided to be very thorough that night. they scanned, re-scanned, opened up every bags and then re-scanned and asked ppl lots of questions.

when we told her that our connecting flight would leave in 10 mins and if she could speed up, she said 'u just have to wait'. yeah, we can wait, but what abt our plane?????

Tracy said...

I would lost my patience if i were you. I really hate the waiting time in airport. Jane, you really need to take a good rest when you go back to HK.